Meals for the Freezer
The Charity remains committed to the health and safety of its families, volunteers and staff. The following guidelines have been established for in-person volunteering:
- Groups are allowed up to a maximum of 10 individuals at one time.
- All volunteers must be 13 or older and minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Thank you for your interest in preparing a casserole or frozen meal for our families. We ask that all Freezer Friends follow these established guidelines. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Morgan Knox at 412-246-1103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions or concerns that may arise outside of normal business hours, please contact the front office at 412-246-1105.
Our Freezer Friends program helps fill our freezers to feed Ronald McDonald House Pittsburgh families when we do not have a meal previously scheduled. Bring the ingredients and schedule a time to prepare the casseroles or frozen meals in our wonderful community kitchen – (or simply donate a store-bought casserole)!
- All frozen meal preps must be scheduled in advance.
- To reserve a Meals from the Heart: Freezer Friends time, a confirmation form must be filled out and returned within four days after scheduling your date with the Volunteer Coordinator. Tentative meal prep dates can only be put on hold for a maximum of four days. This allows us to move forward with other interested groups if you are no longer available.
- All meals and preparations must be assembled on site in our community kitchen or by a certified grocery store/restaurant.
- Due to the size of our kitchen, please limit your group size to no more than 10 people.
- Frozen Meal Preps can be scheduled at the following times: 7 days a week starting at 1:30 pm or 7:00 pm. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule.
- We ask that you prepare enough food for the following number of people (approx.)
Breakfast/Brunch – 30 people
Lunch – 45 people
Dinner – 60 people
- Ingredients for the meal being prepared must be supplied by the group. Please label the dish(es) with the ingredients (this helps with food sensitivities/restrictions), heating/baking instructions, and the date the preparations took place. Please tape the label to the top of the dish.
- If you are bringing children, they must be supervised at all times.
- No alcohol may be brought into the House. This is including the use as a food ingredient.
- Please bring with you items to package food for freezer (disposable bakeware and/or bakeware you wish to donate).
- Our kitchen is equipped with two electric ovens, a dishwasher, cooking utensils, pots, pans and bakeware.
- Everyone preparing food should use appropriate hygiene practices and be free of any contagious diseases/sicknesses. Food safety gloves are a required when handling food. You are welcome to bring your own or gloves will be available in the Ronald McDonald House Pittsburgh kitchen.
- Please follow the food safety guidelines provided on the website: www.foodsafety.gov.
Meals from the Heart: Freezer Friends is a great way to lift our families’ spirits.